Sunday, December 12, 2010

They live!

Well it has almost been a week since we brought the baby chickens back to my community. Everything went swimmingly the day I went to pick them up. I meet the man from the ministry of agriculture in the morning and with only a slight delay and two other errands he needed to run we got to the meeting point with the delivery car a few minutes before they did. We loaded the 500 one day old chickens into the cab of the truck and started home (after of course paying some bills for a friend of the driver). Every time we went over a little bump or went around a corner there would be a chorus of peeping from the birds. We distributed the 500 birds between 23 families and today we vaccinate them for the first time, and I have only heard of one dying so far. Which actually might not be a good thing since I was calculating that at least 15% would die, hopefully there will be enough food to keep them alive until they start laying eggs!

No comments: