Monday, May 4, 2009

Simply Cashews.

When I was doing my census the other day a family gave me some hot cashews they had just cooked. They were a little burned, and some were still soft, but boy were they good! They informed me that they had just picked them from their cashew tree, and cooked them. I made up my mind to collect as many as I could. I asked my counterpart and my host brother if they would like to go collect wild cashews and they were up for it, and knew a great spot to go look. The next day we set off for the hills!


This is my host brother.

Two marañóns and one stash.
These are marañóns (or cashew fruit I suppose), and the little nub on top is the cashew. Before I came here I had now idea there was a whole fruit attached to these little wonders. I had so much hope that this would be one of the best fruits I’ve ever eaten; it’s super soft, has no seed inside, and looks like something from Willy Wonka’s health food store. Alas the flavor of the cashew fruit is something like old strawberries, and is not too tasty—in other words the only one of my friends who would like this fruit is Joe. I don’t really like them but I still eat them because I just want them to be good so badly!
The spot we went to go looking for cashews is not more then 15 minute walk from the ‘center of town’ and there are hundreds of cashew trees here. We scour the ground beneath the trees for the seeds or shake the trees and pull the seeds off the fallen fruit. After an hour and a half we filled this bag, about 18-20 lbs I’m told.

I was expecting to toast them in a little pan and from them to shrink and change color to look like a cashew but they lit a fire and just threw them in. The burn wonderfully fast and seem to spray flame.
After they are done cooking they look like this.
Then we smash them with a hammer and get this tasty morsel.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are you doing with that facial hair?
Be thankful that cashews are not attached to a Durian fruit!

Deborah said...

I love your blog. You look very handsome and wiry.

Hannah Roth said...

I was eating cashews today and thought of your post. Yum yum. When I come visit will there still be cashews on the trees?

Nicki said...

Matthew,
I love reading your blog. It is so descriptive that I can imagine everything. I also like your new look...much less gringo.
Just got back from MI last week, stayed with Barry and family. We all raved about you and how much we can't wait to see you when you return. We all send our love.

Barry said...

Nutty story Matt! Love reading your blog, Grandma likes it too.

Jesse said...

We have cashew trees here too. At first I read this:

"Alas the flavor of the cashew fruit is something like old strawberries, and is not too tasty—in other words the only one of my friends who would like this fruit is Joe."

and I thought "Hey! I like cashew fruits!" Then I read this:

"I don’t really like them but I still eat them because I just want them to be good so badly!"

and I realized you're 100% right, thank you for making me realize the true nature of my feelings towards cashew fruit. Plus they give you diarhea (or at least they give you diarhea if you eat the ones dirty little kids give you without washing them first).